Saturday, August 20, 2005

Gazal research begins

Well, I've just spent a little time looking into the meaning of Gazal, that song I so desperately want to dance to. Looking at the liner notes of the Essam Rashad CD containing this song, I see that Gazal is explained as "Poetic Song." I have heard of Ghazals before, but don't really know much about them. I decided to look it up in Wikipedia. The article there is pretty much impossible to comprehend, but there are a couple of wonderful links at the end. I totally recommend them to anyone interested in poetry.

The Ghazal: An Inevitable Unity by Jenny Burdge
That Bastard Ghazal by Andy Weaver

It's a little odd how Ghazal means literally "speaking with women" in Arabic, and means "
the last meloncholic cry of deer cornered by hunters" in Farsi and Urdu. I can't help but think that really says something about communication between the sexes!

It seems like such an interesting poetic form. It's sort of exciting to think of writing a poem that can have couplets so thematically different from one another. Is there a way to interpret this in dance form? Hmmmmmmmmm...

No comments: