Sunday, August 28, 2005

Steps towards something beautiful

In a previous post I think I alluded to some beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful, amazing fabric that I've had sitting in my closet for about 5 years. It's been waiting to be a costume for quite some time, and I've been making plans for it during the last couple weeks. Today I had an opportunity to ask some dancers their opinions about how best to make a skirt to fit my vision, and now I feel fairly confident that I can finish it before school starts. Then I will be able do some work on the belt and bra here and there when I decide I have time for it - yay! I imagine the big push on this project will occur around Christmas time. Right now I have an idea for how I want the bra straps to go, but I'm not sure about the shape of the belt at all. The belt will probably be narrow, and will have to do up in the middle of the front or the back, because of how I want the fringe to hang from it. I want loopy fringe for this costume, similar to something like the below costumes on eBay. I already have a necklace pattern that is nice and loopy to match!

Tonight I found a website that teaches you how to make your own skirt pattern. It can be found here. This would be a starting point for me to adapt from. I'm not sure I want to put a zipper in the waistband (I've never sewn one in before), and if I do I might put it in the side instead of the back, just to make it easier to get into the costume. I have plans to put at least one triangular insert into the hemline to add fullness to the skirt in the back

This is an exciting step for me! Sometimes I'm too afraid of wrecking something really nice that I don't end up actually making anything. I feel well on my way now, though, so I don't think that's likely to happen.

No comments: