Friday, September 02, 2005

Cooties

On Sunday Saskatchewan celebrates its official 100th anniversary of provincedom. Today, however, there was a free pancake breakfast (with Saskatoon berry syrup!) in downtown Saskatoon featuring Premier Lorne Calvert and Prime Minister Paul Martin. When my mom and I arrived Paul Martin was just finishing his speech, then there were a bunch of unremarkable speeches by the other politicians who were present. The Premier got a cheap cheer by making some comment about the Roughriders. Ugh. The MC tried to introduce all these politicians like they were rock stars. It felt very superficial. I don't seem to have much enthusiasm about these sorts of things . . . particularly at 9 am I guess.

Anyway, on his way out Paul Martin passed by the line where I was waiting for pancakes, so I got to shake his hand. Later on Brad Trost (a local member of parliament) also shook my hand. Now I feel all covered in politician cooties. I hope it's not infectious.

2 comments:

LJE said...

at least you have a good balance of liberal and conservative cooties...maybe they cancel eachother out...??

Lorianne in Saskatoon said...

Oooh! Good thinking! I hope so.