Saturday, June 25, 2005

I was tagged!

... like, two weeks ago. See Lynette's blog June 14, 2005

1. Number of books I own: 279 ... wow ... 24 of those are in a box because I don't want them anymore ... and I could probably get rid of a bunch more and not miss them. Many of them are textbooks from various stages of my education. Others were purchased when I was deeply interested in history or playing with language, and was not very good at holding myself back from buying them.

2. Latest book(s) I am reading: "The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula K. Le Guin, and one on personality type and communication in health care (I left it at my friend's place for when I'm housesitting there).

2. Last book I read: Douglas Adams' "Starship Titanic" by Terry Jones.

3. The last book I bought was: I bought a sketch book yesterday, does that count? Before that it was most likely "Choice Theory" by William Glasser. My newest acquisitions are a couple books I got from Joel, who is moving this week: one on the development of Tolkien's writing of the Lord of the Rings, and the other one is a stretching book.

4. 5 books that mean a lot to me:
  • "The Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh. This was a gift to me from my friend Athena. It's an introduction to meditation. I have tried to read it several times, but have yet to finish it.
  • "The Silmarillion" by J.R.R. Tolkien. Amazing, amazing, amazing! I really admire how Tolkien developed such a living world with a vast history, but you're still able to connect with the characters as people with their own stories.
  • "Saskatoon: The First Half-Century" by Don Kerr and Stan Hanson. I'm a Saskatoonophile, what can I say. I really enjoyed reading the part about the boom time early in Saskatoon's history. Land speculation is evil.
  • "Structural Yoga Therapy: Adapting to the Individual" by Mukunda Stiles. This is a book given to me by my friend and mentor Pat. We saw it once on a trip to Regina and it looked like a very good anatomically-based book. I anticipate this book as being a useful one to have professionally.
  • "The Rutland Dirty Weekend Book" by Eric Idle of Monty Python. Before my friend Debbie moved away, she invited me one night to hang out with some friends of hers. They had a game for us to play where we got into teams and had to find and solve these word puzzles they had hidden around the house. My team won, but I think she might have skewed the results in our favour a bit. Since I was the huge Monty Python fan in our group they let me keep our prize! There's even a picture of Henry Woolf in a stereotypical harem girl outfit!
Feel free to share any book-related comments you might have.

P.S. 6 months until Christmas

No comments: